Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
WEBINAR: Creating a Discussion Guide for Qualitative ResearchSponsored by the Clinical and Community Research Core of the Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
This webinar will give you the tools you need to create an effective discussion guide for focus groups and key informant interviews. You’ll gain an understanding of how to start from a general research question and develop it into a practical and organized questioning route so that you’ll get the answers you need. We’ll cover all phases of development from brainstorming, to phrasing and sequencing questions, to pilot testing. You’ll learn best practices so that your groups and interviews will be maximally informative. This will be an interactive webinar with multiple opportunities to ask questions of the presenter.
Date and time: Thursday September 18th, 2015 from 12-1 PM
Presenter: Sara C. Folta, PhD
Interested in human eating behavior and new technologies for objective measurement in laboratory, clinical and public health studies?
Hacking Eating Tracking (http://www.hackingeatingtracking.org/) is an innovative Symposium+Hackathon event that will bring together researchers, individuals at the forefront of technology/innovation and passionate software and hardware developers (hackers). The goal is to foster connections and try to develop new tools and technology solutions to better quantify human eating behavior.
This event will take place the weekend of September 18-20 at the Northwest building of the Harvard campus in Cambridge, MA.
Registration ($25): http://www.hackingeatingtracking.org/tickets/
Hacking Eating Tracking is supported by the Division of Nutrition at Harvard Medical School and the Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center (BNORC)
Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminar:
Tuesday, September 22, 2015 from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AMTBA
Stephen R. Farmer, PhD
Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room
12th Key Symposium, 2015
Organized by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the Journal of Internal Medicine
Insulin Resistance in Common Diseases
Tuesday, September 29-Thursday, October 1, 2015
Location: The Joseph B. Martin Conference Center at Harvard Medical School, Rotunda Room, Boston, USA
More information may be found on the website.
Obesity & Metabolism: An Emerging Frontier in Lung Health and Disease
October 5-7, 2015
Location: University of Vermont, Davis Center, Silver maple Ballroom, Burlington, VT
Please visit website for a meeting brochure.
SAVE THE DATE
Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center Retreat
Friday, October 23, 2015 from 1:00-4:00 PM
Location: Boston University, Charles River Campus, Boston, MA
Register to Attend
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.