Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminar:
Tuesday, December 1, 2015 from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Caveolae vs. nucleus? A “new” role of PTRF/Cavin-1 on metabolically regulated ribosomal DNA transcription
Libin Liu, Ph.D.
Instructor, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room 714
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute Seminar Series, Boston University School of Medicine
Tuesday, December 1, 2015 from 12:00-1:00 PM
“Nutrient Sensors, Metabolic Regulation and Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease”
Mengwei Zang, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room 715
Hematology-Oncology/ Cancer Center Grand Rounds, Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center
Thursday, December 3, 2015 from 12:00-1:00 PM
“White Adipose Inflammation: Identifying and Targeting a Silent Killer”
Andrew J. Dannenberg, MD, Henry R. Erie, MD
Roberts Family Professor of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College
Location: Boston University School of Medicine, Wilkins Board Room 120, Evans Building, 1st Floor
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Endocrinology Grand Rounds
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
Friday, December 4, 2015 from 9:00-10:00 AM
“Diabetes in Asian Americans - Physiologic and Cultural Perspectives”
William Hsu, MD
Vice President, International Programs, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Location: Shapiro Clinical Center, Leventhal Conference Room, 2nd Floor
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.