Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Tufts - HNRCA Monday Seminar Series
DIVISION OF NUTRITION AT HARVARD, LONGWOOD NUTRITION SEMINAR 2014-2015,
Meets 1st Tuesday of Each Month, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Marc Liesa-Roig, Ph.D.
Instructor, Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Nutrition and Weight Management, Boston University School of Medicine
Deciphering mechanisms of mitochondrial adaptability to oxidative stress
Date: Tuesday, January 27th, 2015, 10-11am
Location: 650 Albany St., 7th Floor, Room 714, Boston University Medical Campus
Coffee and light refreshments will be served. Parking is available in the garage located at 710 Albany Street.
Please contact Donna Gibson at email@example.com for additional information.
Obesity Journal Club
(A program of the Clinical and Community Research Core, which is joint between Tufts and Harvard/MGH)
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015
Presenter: Lindsay Peterson Tanskey, MS, M.Ed., Bacow Scholar & doctoral student in the Food Policy and Applied Nutrition Program at the Friedman School at Tufts
Lumeng et al., "Changes in Body Mass Index Associated with Head Start Participation" from Pediatrics (Pediatrics 2015;135(2); DOI: 10.1542/peds.2014-1725). .
Jaharis 272 Conference Room at Tufts (Health Sciences Campus, 150 Harrison Ave)
Faculty and students in the greater Boston area are welcome to attend and present. Those interested in participating may come to Tufts or join the discussion in a webinar style format by dialing in via WebEx. If you would like to receive a PDF of the article that will be discussed and/or a WebEx invitation, please email Sarah Phillips: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gijs van Seventer Environmental Health Seminar Series
Friday, January 30, 2015 from 12:45-1:45 PM
“A Multi-Level, Multi-Sector Approach to Obesity Prevention”
Christina D Economos Ph.D., Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, The New Balance Chair in Childhood Nutrition, Director and Vice Chair, ChildObesity180
Location: Boston University School of Medicine, 72 East Concord Street, Instructional Building, Room L-210
Adipose Seminar Series sponsored by the Adipose Tissue Biology and Nutrient Metabolism Core (ABM) of BNORC
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
“Environmental Endocrine Disruption of Adipose Physiology”
Robert Sargis, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University of Chicago
Location: BUMC, EBRC Building, 650 Albany Street, 7th Floor, Room 714.
Obesity Working Group Meetingco-sponsored by the Epidemiology and Genetics Core (E&G) of BNORC
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:30-5:00 PM
Location: Epidemiology Library, Kresge 907, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston
WORKSHOP: Qualitative Data AnalysisSponsored by the Clinical and Community Research Core of the Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Software packages like NVivo are tremendously helpful in analyzing qualitative data, but they are only tools. What do you need to do before you sit down to code? What are the different philosophies and techniques around coding? Once you have the data that the programs spit out, what are you supposed to actually do with it? How do you best interpret the data? What “best practices” in qualitative data analysis do you need to consider? This workshop is designed to answer all of these questions. NOTE however that the purpose of the workshop is not to teach you to use the software – most come with excellent training and support. You will, however, learn everything else that you need to know to successfully analyze your qualitative data.
Limited to 10 participants
Monday, March 16, 2015 from 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM
9th annual "Future of Food and Nutrition" Graduate Student Research Conference
Saturday, April 11th, 2015
Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy at Tufts University, Boston, MA
Call for Abstracts: Deadline Feb 2, 2015
Website for more info
International Conference on Frailty & Sarcopenia Research
Thursday - Saturday, April 23-25, 2015 Boston, MA
Call for abstracts: Symposium, oral communication, poster submission deadline: November 18, 2014
More info and Registration at: www.icfsr.com
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.