Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center
Seminar Series/Study Group Listings
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars: Meets select Tuesdays at 10am
- Monday Nutrition Seminars at the Harvard School of Public Health
Date: Monday, December 9th, 2013, 8:30 AM -1:30 PM
Location: Boston University School of Medicine, 72 East Concord Street, Instructional Building Hiebert Lounge, 14th Floor, Boston, MA
View Full Program
Contact Donna Gibson, BNORC Administrator, to attend: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adobe Connect: http://bumedical.adobeconnect.com/r820296e8qg/
Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds (OMIR)
OMIR is a clinical conference series now in its 5th year, which is focused on the field on Obesity Medicine. It has allowed us to share experiences about the diagnosis and treatment of patients with obesity as well as foster a greater sense of community among groups in the Boston area interested in the field of Obesity Medicine. There are six participating institutions, including UMass, BIDMC, BUMC, CHOB, Tufts and MGH, however we invite all who are interested to attend.
We look forward to working with all of you to continue to make this interhospital conference a success and hope that it will help raise the awareness and profile of all the innovative clinical work being done in this area.
There will be two conference dates this year.
OMIR #1: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at Joslin Diabetes Center from 6:30-8:00PM
OMIR#2: Thursday, June 5, 2014 at Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge(in conjunction with the Blackburn Course in obesity medicine) 6:30-8:00PM
Ongoing Enrichment Activities
- BNORC hosts an Annual Program or Retreat that provides an opportunity for Center members and other Boston area investigators and clinicians to participate in scientific exchange. This program includes participation of all currently-funded Pilot and Feasibility investigators and is attended by the Center’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Obesity Medicine Interhospital Rounds is a conference series, which is a collaborative effort among the obesity treatment programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00 pm approximately 6 times per year, rotating to a different hospital for each session.
- Annual symposium or workshop organized by one of the four core laboratories. These programs are intended to provide an educational forum for new and established investigators in the area(s) of expertise of the responsible core laboratory.
- Participation in the ongoing Continuing Medical Education course co-sponsored by Harvard Medical School, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the NAASO: The Obesity Society to transfer the latest information on the causes, consequences and treatment of obesity to the practicing physician. Participation of Center members in the course provides expertise not readily available elsewhere. In addition, BNORC’s inclusion in the CME course helps to promote the identity of the Center and establishes the Center as a resource for expertise in obesity related activities.
- BNORC Adipose and Metabolic Study Group Seminars (ABM Core): The Study Group meeting includes research seminars and presentations of research in progress and grant proposals for critical review. These bi-monthly meetings are held at BUSM.
- Obesity Journal Club (Clinical and Community Research Core): The Obesity Journal Club meets semi-weekly at TUSM to review papers published in biomedical journal that relate to obesity in population settings. Occasionally, the hour is used for doctoral students to present and get feedback on work in progress.
- Epidemiology Working Group Sponsored Seminars (Epidemiology and Genetics Core): This seminar series is held at Harvard School of Public Health and highlights a guest lecturer in a related field. Please click here for a link to upcoming seminars in the Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Description of Educational Opportunities
Please note that the Center’s Administrative Core distributes a weekly list of local enrichment activities related to nutrition and obesity via email to BNORC members and others who have expressed an interest. This list includes seminars and programs that are sponsored and/or co-sponsored by the Center as well as other offerings that are not related to the Center. Please email the Center Administrator (email@example.com) if you would like to be added to this list.